As you might know that last Friday Google announced the release of Penguin 2.1 search spam update on its search algorithm.
Penguin 2.1 launching today. Affects ~1% of searches to a noticeable degree. More info on Penguin: http://t.co/4YSh4sfZQj
— Matt Cutts (@mattcutts) October 4, 2013
Google’s head of search spam also mentioned that it impacted about 1% of search queries. This brings us to the next question of what is Penguin 2.1
What is Penguin 2.1:
Penguin 2.1 update is just an add-on update to the initial Penguin 2.0 Google update that was released in May 2013. It penalizes everything spammy that the original Penguin 2.0 updated missed. And this is the reason that the fundamentals of the Google Penguin update has not changed.
Its very important to note that Penguin 2.1 (or Penguin 2.0) looks at the website from a backlinks point of view and not the on-site content. Spam on-site SEO content has always been penalized by the Panda update which Google runs on a regular basis.
Based on our experience and analyzing different websites affected by the Penguin 2.1 we have found that it mainly targets the following links and activities.
- Low quality non-relevant links
- Spammy links
- Paid links that are not mentioned as nofollow
- Guest blog site-wide links.
- Spammy or black hat SEO techniques
- Article syndication links
- Forum or blog posting abuse (such as planting links within forum signatures, or creating really low quality blog posts on 3rd party sites, like Blogger, for the sole sake of acquiring backlinks)
- Large number of exact match keywords used within external links
- Large number of backlinks coming from one website (usually referred to as site wide links)
- Widget links
- Aggressive link exchanges
Please also note that this is just a software update and not a manual action. However, if you have lost traffic and the rankings of your site has decreased for various keywords after this update then the chances of getting manual penalty are high.
So, how does one recover from Penguin 2.1?
The steps to recover from Penguin 2.1 Google update are